FreePBX vs. FreeSWITCH: what's the difference? (pros and cons). Today, many rely on open source IP PBXs and unified communications solutions for customization, scalability, and cost effectiveness. With everything going digital, a platform is needed that is primarily software based rather than hardware based.
In this way, multiple extensions can be accessed and only one network is required.transmit a voice, data,videoand more. We have prepared an article to help you choose the right open source.Program controlled exchange systemBelow we compare FreePBX with FreeSWITCH as the top two options.
We have compared both software tools to help you decide which is the best and most suitable platform for your needs. So let's get into the blog.
read it too
VOIP Pros and Cons: Top 10 Books You Must Read
What is FreePBX?
Developed by Sangema Technologies, Inc.,free private exchangeis an open source IP PBX management tool that allows users to customize their IP PBXbusiness phone systemUse built-in functions and add-on modules. It has 2 million installations worldwide. Also, while it has some basic features built in, it is highly customizable.Plataforma PBXIt allows you to choose specific features that fit your business needs.
The word "free" infree private exchangeWhich means that the software is completely free and allows users to create a phone system that suits their needs. It's a simple, customizable platform that includes everything you need to build a scalable business phone system on any budget.
read it too
How to set up FreePBX server on Azure/AWS/GCP (FreePBX Hosting)
Free PBX Features
Free PBX SolutionIt can be installed manually. However, some users prefer to use FreePBX Distro as Linux operating system,communication with asteriskFreePBX platform and GUI. It also provides many built-in features and includes a default set of features that users can build on later. This way, users don't have to pay for these features and still have the option to add them in the future.
In addition, it is related to the mainSIP clusterHardware vendors, along with vendors like Yealink, Digium, Cisco, and Polycom, also get Sangoma-certified hardware. This hardware includes atelephone system, Support 350 simultaneous calls and multiple phone lines. It also constitutes a community of developers or applications with which users can modify FreePBX in many ways.
Contact center and call management
FreePBX offers a completely free contact center andcall managementFeatures and pluginsCall centerOr companies with additional call control needs. You can buy toll free numbers and local DIDs from SIPStation. You also have the option to transfer your current phone number or get a new virtual number. Its built-in features include basic call queues and ring groups,conference bridge, unlimited extensions, voicemail activation, voicemail to email, call history and more.
you can integratevideo conferenceThrough video codecs in FreePBX. In addition, Sangoma recently launched Sangoma Meet, which aims toPABX integration. This free desktop and mobileconference toolInclude up to fifty participants. Features includeshare screen,Automatic password protection, moderator controls such as mute, unmute or remove participants, private orgroup chat message, audio-only participants, and emoji reactions.
read it too
VoIP Security Best Practices (Checklist)
free PBX systemCRMs such as SugarCRM, Zoho, Salesforce, SuiteCRM, and Connectwise are supported.
Advantages of FreePBX
- It offers a high level of customization.
- there are unlimitedExtensions and Trunks。
- Long-term licenses are available.
- It forms an excellent open source community.
- temperatureFree optimized phones for certified PABXand various user roles.
- Soporta CPU x86 y ARM.
- Good support for telephony hardware.
- Wide community support.
Cons of FreePBX
- Its installation process is outdated and time consuming.
- It does not have an integrated CRM,video conferencing resources。
- It is a complex user interface and not so intuitive.
- Its advanced features require the purchase of modules.
- Certain updates may cause temporary disconnection issues.
- Not all modules are free, some commercial modules require payment.
- The GUI uses a lot of system resources.
read it too
How to Install FreePBX on Ubuntu 20.04 (Open Source PBX Tutorial)
Together with our FreePBX vs. FreeSWITCH: What's the difference? Introducing FreeSWITCH.
What is FreeSWITCH?
switch freelyis software that provides a fully customizable and configurable telecommunications stack for modern applications. This open source software provides a productionTier Telecom Stack, including PBX, call center applications, SIP and other applicationslawyer, proxy RTP,Audio/Videoconference, ETC. Users widely prefer this tool because of the features and customization it offers.
FreeSWITCH is designed for real-time communication,RTC de red, Telecommunications, Video and Voice over Internet ProtocolVoice over Internet Protocol. It supports many popular communication technologies such as Skype, SIP, H.323, and WebRTC. It is written in C language and is compatible with Mac OS X, Windows and ARM operating systems.
read it too
AsteriskNOW, FreePBX vs Asterisk: what is the difference?
- The main function of FreeSWITCH is call routing. These services often take advantage of various features provided by FreeSWITCH.
- Easy integration into low consumption devices.
- Easy end-user device setup makes it effective for families.
- advancedVoicemail Settingsand an audio navigation system that uses interactive voice responses.
- In bad weather conditions,Tone dialing functionLink to Interactive Voice Response.
- You can use it for surveys and volunteer applications.
- Its scalable capabilities make it the ideal tool for a powerful system foundation.PBX business phone system。
- It offers many features and is primitive for file and audio tasks. Audio formats contain their own APIs on this platform.
- interconnect severaltelephone protocol, including innovative new media and signaling protocols. This powerful translator understands many languages between them.
- State-of-the-art video conferencing features such as multiplevideo codecSupport transcoding, multiple video layouts, split screen, picture-in-picture, screen sharing, video mixing, video special effects, etc.
- Highly versatile and can be used as a library in your application.
- It simplifies advanced applications and removes a lot of complexity. Route or link critical communication protocols using audio, video, text, or other media.
Advantages of FreeSWITCH
- Using physical resources is more efficient because it allows you to support larger loads for the same underlying hardware.
- That's allgroupCapabilities divide operations according to roles. This means that one server can support conferencing, another IVR, and another main call operation.
- This is beneficial for multi-tenant deployments where each tenant or customer purchases separate components.Program Controlled Switch IP。
- FreeSWITCH's memory and processing requirements tend to take up a lot of space on the server.
- It has limited models of end devices.
- Its open source support infrastructure is not extensive.
read it too
SIP, VoIP and PBX: what is the difference? (pros and cons)
FreePBX vs. FreeSWITCH: Key differences
|semester||free private exchange||switch freely|
It is only compatible with Linux operating system
Windows, Mac, and Linux are supported.
Companies interested in a completely free and open source PBX system.
Enterprises that need a software-defined telecom stack.
It is free and is licensed under the GNU General Public License.
It is completely free and is released under the Mozilla Public License.
Integra DID Logic, Telnyx, CRMTiger, Coeo, Dynamics Telephony, NetThunder, OrekaTK y PBXDom.
Integra DID Logic, Telnyx, FetchIt y Kamailio.
Less flexible than FreeSWITCH
It is a "private agency exchange solution" and a framework for developing communication applications.
It's just a smooth change.
It uses flat files for the dial plan and configuration. This means that FreePBX setup is easy.
It uses XML files for configuration and dial plans. Writing XML files is very difficult because it has its own method of writing files.
Unstable in high flow applications.
Excellent! We learned more about FreePBX and FreeSWITCH: what is the difference? So let's summarize.
read it too
Top 10 Self-Hosted Open Source Video Conferencing Software
FreePBX vs. FreeSWITCH: what's the difference? in conclusion
Both systems are open source, which makes it difficult to choose the best solution. FreeSWITCH hides behind its powerful library of modules and tools. Plus, it's perfect for businesses looking for advanced features. When combined with commercial IP PBX equipment,Advanced voice and video servicesAnd multi-vendor interoperability certifications make it a good choice.
Both software are well-known telephony platforms, which usephone online.Na base deVoIP technologyThis software provides voice and multimedia communications for Internet applications over IP networks. After analyzing both software, we can say that both have some advantages and some disadvantages. It all depends on the user's requirements for the implementation of the communication system. If users want to use a lot of calls, FreeSWITCH is the best choice. But if users want easy setup and low call volume, FreePBX is the best solution.